Monday, January 28, 2008

my topic

My topic for our first essay is going to be about my mom's old, brass, annoying clock that currently sits in my parent’s front living room and how the ticking of it reminds me of wasted time. I came to this decision after sitting in the front living room and waiting for one of my family to come home so we could go to dinner, since i was starving!, and i started hearing the tick, tick, tick, of that clock and realized i, honestly, never paid any attention to that thing until i was bored or just waiting for something while i was sitting on the sofa just wasting time and not being productive.
Questions i have...questions i have... umm... i would say my question is why do i only seem to notice that clock with it is taunting ticking when i am bored or waiting for something. Also, why does it bother me so much when i hear it do that stupid ticking! So I guess I need to go and look back at all the times that I was plagued by this clock and how many times I was forced to listen to it or allowed my self to listen to it tick and me and point fun at the fact that in some way I was just wasting my time and not doing anything productive at all.

4 comments:

Thomas M. said...

Hey Breann,

I think you have a couple of good questions to help yourself with your personal essay. If I could think of one additional question it would be how has it effected you to make you who you are now, whether that effect was big or small. Good luck!

Thomas

April Patrick said...

The idea of writing about the clock is a great symbolic theme to tie your questions and thoughts together. Just make sure that there are also concrete experience/details included. Looking forward to reading your draft on Friday!

bobby123 said...

I like how you only notice the clock when you are pressed and/or waiting on time. This is a very specific topic so it will make for an interesting essay.

Mason M. said...

Time is a very interesting topic, but wasting time? Extremely interesting....everyone likes to hear about what people do in their spare time, but was this clock 'always' in front of you? Hopefully you will have detail stories and descriptions of why/how this has effected you.