Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Arguments on Fact

For my argument of fact I am going to bring a Vaseline total moisture body lotion. I am bringing this because after realizing pretty much anything can be an argument of fact if it tells you that something is going to happen if you use a product. For this product it states that if you use it everyday it can replenish 100% of the moisture that you lose in your skin. I have never really thought about this possibly being a lie and I really took it as a fact when I bought it because I figured that it had to be true or why would it be on the bottle. However, how do you know if it really does replenish all of your moisture and vitamins in your skin every time that you put it on. It is weird that things that we think of as a fact can be misunderstood. Like the example about the car seat in the book where they compared the safety of children in a car seat to children in a car unrestrained. Things that people look at like a fact can be misconstrued and people can be mislead if the "fact" is not looked into completely.

3 comments:

Michelle J. said...

I think that it is very interesting that you chose body lotion as an argument of fact. I never really would have thought of that, but it does make a statement, and probably, if you were to do research on the product, it would explain and give reasons to support the claim. I would also like to comment on what you said about "facts" being misleading, especially statistics. When I was doing research for my letter to the editor, many of the articles I read, rearranged numbers to make them match the author's point when, given more information, they did not.

Thomas M. said...

I think that it is very interesting that you look on something that may be used in everyday life and then question something that is assumed as fact. I wonder if it actually is 100% or if it is some lower number and they say that just to sell the product.

Hector said...

I like that this is a very informational article. Especially to know that not all of the body lotions are what the facts state and that a lot of them are misleading. Again, very informational article, but it would be even better if it was tied onto the subject of politics.