Thursday, September 25, 2008

Op-Ed

It’s a Man’s Job
“Not ready for that type of change.”
So what is different about the election this year? If we would like to start a list we could start with how Barack Obama is the first black man running for president, John McCain is one of the oldest men to run for president, and the amount of women that have been involved in this election process. The amount of women is something that I have continually heard about all through the year starting with Hillary running to Palin running with McCain for vice president. It amazes me that this has been such a big deal to this election from the controversy about lipstick on a pig to the running of the country.
One reason, out of many, that I have been told for why women can not run the country is because “it’s a man’s job.” I find this very odd in this day in age because both women and men are “bringing home the bacon.” I know that is a clique but there are plenty of women that are bringing in just as big of an income as their husbands, boyfriends or whoever. There are plenty of women that are handling their own lives, even possibly better then men. Showing that women do have responsibility and control of their lives and they do not all depend on men to run their lives for them. But if a woman did make it to office that would be a huge change like having to say Madame President instead of Mr. President and instead of a first lady we would have a first gentleman. So obviously America has to think can they handle these types of changes? I have spoken to people who really think that “America is not ready for that type of change.” Or maybe the idea of no longer having testosterone running the country and instead having estrogen in charge is what makes people a little uneasy. This would be a huge change because with estrogen comes the worry of 48 months out of the presidency.
So yes, ladies and gentlemen, suddenly the way that women’s bodies work are being used against them. One of the best explanations for why women can not handle the country is because “once a month a woman will be liable to kill us or start a war if she is PMSing enough.” I love that this has become a legitimate reason for some people to use against women who are running for president. So suddenly how women’s bodies work has become a personal flaw. So if a female president has a bad day or becomes angry about something at least the country can have a reason for her actions or what she says. Everyone can just blame it on the PMS. Sounds like a good deal to me. What does the United States have to say if a man becomes angry or does something totally uncalled for?
But seriously for personality reasons what do women have that is different. Women are motherly, which has been looked down on in business. Possibly this characteristic could make women have poor judgment, or make them soft or weak while making decisions. But being motherly is not a negative quality in the slightest. It does not make you soft or weak in judgment or in decision making, in fact, I see it more as it being a way for women to look on both sides of a situation. Allowing her to be a bit more opened minded in a situation or at least be able to sympathize with one side or the other; this is not going to stop her from making a decision that is best for the country. I highly doubt that, be it male or female, the president is going to make a decision that will seriously hurt the country in any way. So why would being “motherly” be a bad quality for a woman to have. If anything it would make her more protective. Just as many women are over their children. The country would in a sense become like her child since the president is basically helping and watching it grow. Yes, everyone makes mistakes and wrong paths are chosen, however, isn’t that just human nature. Making mistakes is not something that can be blamed on a woman or a male. If you have testosterone or estrogen, if you are motherly or not.
So I personally do not see a flaw about a woman becoming president. I do not see the situation as a woman would not be able to handle a country because it is a “man’s job.” For president I would rather have someone with good character that I could trust handling our country. So I say a solution to these presidential elections is to stop focusing on the idea that there are women in the races, since news flash there are capable in the world, and start actually looking at the content of the character and the capabilities of the people that are running for the president. I believe in having a good leader and not one based off gender who may not be a good representative and leader for the United States because they do become the face of the U.S.
By: Breann Hager




Ok, so just a heads up about my paper and for a refresher. The audience I am going for is women and my article is going to be in a Cosmopolitan or Vogue. I thought this would be a good place to put this because I think this is the best place to reach a lot of women. Ok, for my topic it is women in the presidential race and the personal flaws that tend to be associated with women and those flaws that are used against them for not being able to run the country. I feel like I am kind of all over the place and need to find a new way to organize my thoughts. If you could give me any suggestions or thoughts that would be wonderful. Thank you for reading my paper

2 comments:

Brooke said...

Haha I love the comments you make in your paper. I think you do a great job using sarcasm about "bringing home the bacon" and having to change the way we refer to the president. I also liked how you used an argument against your topic, and turned it into something little that doesn't really matter. For example when you talk about how the president might take our country into war when she is PMS-ing. I think you picked a great title too.

Charles Bridwell said...

I agree - your use of sarcasm is good because if your piece would an article in Vogue or something like that I think you wrote it how most women would want to read it.