Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Topic #1

For my topic I am going to talk about the gender role of women that is being used in this election. I have been interested in this ever since I this election has started. Beginning with the fact that Hillary Clinton was going to run. I originally was all for Hillary to campaign and win this election. However, I changed my mind after realizing the only real reason I liked her was because she was a woman... I did not necessarily agree with all of her opinions. During the time that I was cheering her on and hoping that she would win I always received the comment "You only like her because she is a woman." Yet, on the flip side when I changed my mind about her I received many comments like "You do not like her because she is a woman." Which, personally did not make since because due to the fact I am a woman wouldn't that mean I would like her more. Further more, I never heard during any time of this election someone going up to a male and telling them that they were voting for McCain or Obama because they were a man or the only reason you do not like then is because they are a man. I find it interesting that people around the country are making such a huge deal out of the fact there are women running. Not only that but everything now that politicians and others say are looked at even closer.
Now with that is why I have chosen my article. I found it in the New York Times and it is discussing the speech that Obama made when he said "You can put lipstick on a pig; it's still a pig." In any other election that has gone on in the history of the United States this comment would not be looked at twice. If it did it would have been seen as a stab at the opponents views. However, due to the fact that McCain has a woman running with him it suddenly became tied to Ms. Palin. All I have to say to that is just because Obama says that a pig is wearing lipstick does not mean that he is talking about a woman. This age old phrase became twisted into something more then it was meant to be. This and other things like that are what interests me about the women in the race. Now McCain and Obama have to watch everything they say in hopes that they do not say anything that can be tied back to a rude comment about a woman. I say just run this race like any other. Why should the whole gender thing matter?

3 comments:

Michelle J. said...

I agree with you. I do not think that gender should matter when it comes to the Presidential election. This is not the 1940s and 50s, and women do not need special treatment to succeed. The fact that people are making such a big deal about gender suggests otherwise, and I find it very offending. People need to vote on the issues, not the gender or even race for that matter.

Tommy C. said...

I think it is great that you are going to write about this pig comment that Obama said. When I first heard it, I took it as he was calling Palin a pig with lipstick. I had never heard the phrase before which I guess is somewhat of a common phrase. So, I am now somewhat doubtful that Obama actually was calling her a pig, but he should have definitely not said those words, because to many, I'm sure it sounded as if he was calling her a pig. Thats what I first thought.

Elsa Dithmer said...

I really like your post. I am very pro women and tend to pick my candidate off of there ideas on women. It is very true that we need to look past that and remember there are so many other issues that need to be covered correctly as well.