Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Logos

Since Logos is "based on facts, evidence, and reason" I am going to choose to bring in a weather report for my example. I do realize that it is an example in the book, however, I was surprised to see it as an example for Logos. This may seem strange but I have honestly never realized that a weather report would count as a Logos example or even as an argument. After contemplating this I realized in that this did make since. It can be an argument based off facts because how the weather is going to look is looked at as a "fact" for how we should expect or day to be. If the weather person says that there is a 60% chance of rain that is what I am going to look for and dress for. Now this can be an argument for the present if it does not look like it is even close to raining. It can be an argument for the future if it says it is going to rain so that is how you dressed and then it ends up being 90 degrees out and sunny.
This is an argument but it is not as emotionally powerful as the picture of the girl struck by a drunk driver and as the paper stating that liberating Iraqi children cost too much. However, weather reports can be an argument of great emotion, especially, if the weather turns out incorrect.

4 comments:

-R said...

Your post is quite entertaining, I like they way you just say that the weather is an almost completely arbitrary science, especially on TV.

Elsa Dithmer said...

I like this example as well. It really is so true that the weather is just a argument with logos. I always hate when the weather man is wrong! Now we just have to remember there trying there best! Oh science and logos..

Thomas M. said...

I also thought that the weather report example for logos was a bit out of the ordinary but after what you said, it does make sense. Weather reports are nothing but factual presentations so that we can make decisions about what to wear and what plans to make.

NoEmI MtZ said...

That's funny I thought the same thing when I saw it in the book. But in reality, as wierd as it sounds it is true. When we hear or look at facts that predict the weather we consider that in our decisions. We stare out the window and toward our closet and ponder for quite a while. Chosing the most appropiate attire to wear. Nonetheless it is logic to act in this way.